Nelson Lighthouse and keepers’ residences, c1910
Nelson’s Boulder Bank Lighthouse was the second permanent lighthouse to be built in New Zealand. It is situated on the Boulder Bank, the natural breakwater which shelters the harbour. On 4 August 1862, the oil-fired lamp was lit for the first time by head lighthouse keeper, W.E. Cross. Cross was later replaced by John Kidson. Kidson and his wife raised seven daughters and three sons at the lighthouse. the children rowed across the bay to school each day. Mr Kidson served from 1865 until his death in 1892.
Kerr Collection, Nelson Provincial Museum, 317304